Durga Puja in West Bengal, primarily within the capital metropolis Kolkata, is synonymous with opulence and themed-pandals, which depict the varied elements of human life. It attracts individuals from all throughout the state — typically even the nation and the world — who make a pit cease right here to benefit from the artistic splash of one of many greatest cultural occasions within the nation.
Final yr, amid the pandemic, the coronavirus was a success theme amongst idol makers and pandal planners. If you happen to keep in mind, there was even the ‘migrant mom‘ (Goddess Durga in Kolkata’s Barisha Membership normal to appear like a migrant employee carrying her kids), which made quite a lot of information, owing to how topical it was.
And within the years earlier than that, there have been depictions of many issues underneath the solar, from travel-themed shamianas, to idols sculpted with biscuits and even ice! Let’s simply say, there isn’t a dearth of expertise and concepts with regards to sculpting idols and deciding on themes in Kolkata. A good-looking prize cash/reward is a big incentive.
Whereas the pandemic rages on and issues proceed to look grim, it has not stopped individuals from unleashing their artistic expertise, which has been coated within the information and photographed broadly within the days resulting in the precise graduation of the pageant this yr. Whereas there’s a cap on gatherings, and social-distancing norms proceed to be adopted, the everyday buzz and chaotic insanity is absent. However, you’ll be able to nonetheless benefit from the occasion just about.
Right here’s a round-up of some attention-grabbing themes this yr. Do you have to take into account venturing out, be sure you safely benefit from the pageant.
* Belief a Kolkata Durga Puja pandal to showcase no matter is making information within the type of a complete pandal devoted to it. Expressing solidarity with farmers — who proceed to protest across the nation towards Centre’s agrarian legal guidelines — within the wake of the current incident in Uttar Pradesh’s Lakhimpur Kheri district, a puja pandal in Kolkata has been crafted to imitate the harrowing episode.
Nalin Sarkar Road. (Categorical picture by Shashi Ghosh)
* Indian Categorical photographer Shashi Ghosh additionally shared photos of a puja pandal in Nalin Sarkar Road, which is made to appear like 70s’ Bollywood, full with hand-painted commercials, and classic film posters and actor cutouts. The theme has been aptly named ‘Phiria daou tulir tan‘, that means, ‘give us again the comb stroke’ — a type of artwork which has been misplaced within the digital age.
* This yr, Kolkata’s Sreebhumi Sporting Membership has replicated Dubai’s Burj Khalifa. The membership has designed a 145-feet pandal which has been modelled to appear like the enduring Dubai tower.
Burj Khalifa in Kolkata! (Categorical picture by Shashi Ghosh)
* The Hatibagan Sarbojanin Membership has modelled its pandal on the theme ‘Pichutan‘, which implies a craving or a eager for one thing that you simply can not return to. Merely put, it recreates the Kolkata of the 70s. This yr’s puja can be carried out to indicate the way it was once carried out in previous Kolkata a number of a long time in the past.
Hatibagan Sarbojanin Membership. (Categorical picture by Shashi Ghosh)
* This image from Kashi Bose Lane Durga Puja, which is in its 84th yr, is mesmerising. Whereas the theme is unknown, we love the aesthetics and the intricacies.
Kashi Bose Lane Durga Puja. (Categorical picture by Shashi Ghosh)
* Within the Bandhu Mahal Membership in Baguiati, one idol has been put in with eyes of gold and one other idol has been draped in a saree that has gold embroidery on it. The saree prices Rs 1.5 lakh, and the eyes of the idol are fabricated from greater than 10 grams of gold, Kartik Ghosh, an organiser, was quoted as telling ANI.
West Bengal: Goddess Durga wears a golden designer saree & has eyes fabricated from gold at a pandal in Baguiati, Kolkata
“The saree, by which 6 grams of gold is used, value Rs 1.5 lakhs. The eyes of the idol are fabricated from greater than 10 grams of gold,” says Kartik Ghosh, an organiser pic.twitter.com/8SizmIoKFP
— ANI (@ANI) October 6, 2021
* In north Kolkata’s Nabin Pally Puja, the pandal has been designed in a approach in order to pay tribute to those that died in the course of the second wave of the Covid an infection. Photographs of the deceased, hanging urns and a Mahishasura with folded palms give a haunting reminder that the pandemic is the larger evil to battle.
Nabin Pally Puja. (Categorical picture by Shashi Ghosh)
📣 For extra life-style information, comply with us on Instagram | Twitter | Fb and don’t miss out on the newest updates!