The Chhattisgarh

Beyond The Region

To curb use of chemical fertilisers, Govt to present nod to PM PRANAM

The Union authorities intends to launch a scheme — named PM PRANAM — to scale back the usage of chemical fertilisers by incentivising states, The Indian Specific has learnt.

The proposed scheme, quick for PM Promotion of Alternate Vitamins for Agriculture Administration Yojana, additionally goals to deliver down the subsidy burden on chemical fertilisers, which is estimated to succeed in Rs 2.25 lakh crore in 2022-23 — 39 per cent increased than final yr’s determine of Rs 1.62 lakh crore.

It assumes significance in view of the sharp enhance within the general fertiliser requirement within the nation over the past 5 years.

It’s learnt that high officers of the Union Ministry of Chemical substances and Fertilizers, which has mooted the thought of PM-PRANAM, shared the main points of the proposed scheme with state authorities officers through the Nationwide Convention on Agriculture for Rabi Marketing campaign held on September 7. The ministry has additionally sought their solutions on the options of the proposed scheme, it’s learnt.

Sources mentioned the ministry has initiated inter-ministerial discussions on the proposed scheme and that its draft might be finalised after incorporating the views of the departments involved.

A supply hinted that the scheme may have no separate finances and might be financed by way of the “financial savings of present fertiliser subsidy” underneath schemes run by the Division of Fertilizers.

In accordance with sources, 50 per cent of subsidy financial savings might be handed on as a grant to the state that saves the cash.

Sources additionally mentioned that 70 per cent of the grant offered underneath the scheme can be utilized for asset creation associated to technological adoption of alternate fertilisers and alternate fertiliser manufacturing models at village, block and district ranges. The remaining 30 per cent grant cash can be utilized for rewarding and inspiring farmers, panchayats, farmer producer organisations and self-help teams which are concerned within the discount of fertiliser use and consciousness technology.

Giving an instance of the calculation in decreasing chemical fertiliser use, a supply mentioned {that a} state’s enhance or discount in urea in a yr might be in comparison with its common consumption of urea over the past three years. For this function, information accessible on a Fertilizer Ministry dashboard, iFMS (Built-in Fertilizers Administration System), might be used, mentioned the supply.

Official data present that the precise expenditure on fertiliser subsidy was 1.27 lakh crore in 2020-21. Within the Union Finances 2021-22, the federal government budgeted an quantity of Rs 79,530 crore, which elevated to Rs 1.40 lakh crore within the revised estimates (RE). Nonetheless, the ultimate determine of fertiliser subsidy touched Rs 1.62 lakh crore in 2021-22.

Within the present monetary yr (2022-23) the federal government has allotted Rs 1.05 lakh crore. The Fertilizer Minister has mentioned that the fertiliser subsidy determine might cross Rs 2.25 lakh crore throughout this yr.

In accordance with a written reply given to Lok Sabha by Bhagwanth Khuba, the Union Minister of State for Chemical substances and Fertilizers, on August 5, the full requirement of 4 fertilisers — Urea, DAP (Di-ammonium Phosphate), MOP (Muriate of potash), NPKS (Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium) — within the nation elevated by 21 per cent to 640.27 lakh metric tonnes (LMT) in 2021-22 from 528.86 lakh metric tonnes in 2017-18.

The utmost enhance — 25.44 per cent — has been recorded within the requirement of DAP. It went up from 98.77 LMT in 2017-18 to 123.9 LMT in 2021-22. Urea, probably the most used chemical fertiliser within the nation, recorded a rise of 19.64 per cent — from 298 LMT in 2017-18 to 356.53 in 2021-22 — within the final 5 years.

The transfer is in step with the federal government’s deal with selling a balanced use of fertilisers or different fertilisers in the previous couple of years.

To plug leakages in fertiliser subsidy, the Centre had launched a direct profit switch system in fertilizers with impact from October 2016. Below this method, 100 per cent subsidy on numerous fertiliser grades is launched to the fertiliser corporations on the idea of precise gross sales made by the retailers to the beneficiaries. In addition to, the federal government had integrated new vitamins like Nano urea and “bio-stimulants” within the Fertilizer Management Order-1985 (FCO). Along with this, initiatives like Soil Well being Card and neem-coated urea have additionally been taken.

On December 21, Union Minister for Chemical substances and Fertilizers Mansukh Mandaviya had knowledgeable Lok Sabha that the federal government “encourages the balanced use of fertilisers” along with biofertilisers and natural fertilisers.

%d bloggers like this: