Tahira Kashyap Khurrana had a little bit of a well being scare just lately. She took to Instagram telling her followers that she was within the ICU for 2 days, due to an excessive case of meals poisoning.
“I had one thing which is called bottle gourd toxicity, which is doodhi… Your mild doodhi can do that to you. If it tastes bitter, please don’t have it,” Tahira mentioned in a video.
She defined that she had consumed a poisonous concoction of bottle gourd juice, which comprised the gourd, amla and a few turmeric (haldi). “I used to have contemporary juice within the morning. However that day, it tasted bitter and I nonetheless went forward with it. The physician mentioned it was nearly like having cyanide.”
She continued, saying she thought the drink was bitter as a result of it had “extra vitamin C in it”. She warned her followers in opposition to committing the identical mistake.
“Instantly [after consumption] my physique reacted. I had about 17 bouts of vomit, and my blood strain dropped to 40.”
Whereas this sounds very alarming, nutritionist and well being coach Karishma Shah tells indianexpress.com that it has occurred to lots of people. “What one ought to take into accout is that not all greens may be had uncooked. There’s a very clear distinction between some you can eat uncooked as a salad, and a few others that you could by no means eat uncooked. Doodhi is considered one of them,” she says.
Nutritionist and well being coach Karishma Shah says one must not ever eat doodhi uncooked. (Picture: Getty/Thinkstock)
Shah explains that over a time period, specialists have come to grasp that bottle gourd could cause an adversarial impact. “There have been circumstances whereby individuals have had the juice and the doodhi has been dangerous, resulting in them being rushed to the ICU. It may trigger breathlessness and plenty of totally different points. It’s fairly widespread, as a result of now we have no management over the form of produce that’s coming to us. We can’t chop and style it each day earlier than truly consuming it. I cannot suggest individuals to have uncooked doodhi. You possibly can blanch and boil it, and use it as a subzi, or perhaps a soup. It will get cooked and is safer that approach,” she concludes.
📣 For extra life-style information, comply with us on Instagram | Twitter | Fb and don’t miss out on the newest updates!